Thursday, December 4, 2008

Birthday Wish

On Sundays I often go to a cute café near my internship for brunch. This past week, I found myself at the cafe being seated aside two women who looked like they just walked off the set of the Golden Girls. I made eye contact, gave them a shy smile, slid into the booth, and pulled out my notebook. As I was writing, I caught a glimpse of a sprinkled chocolate cupcake with a blue candle next to the older of the two ladies. I wondered if it was her birthday, so I asked her. She responded that it was coming up on December 3rd; it would be her 96th. I sat in awe for a moment and then the three of us began to giggle and chat like old buddies. When it was time for them to leave and for my food to arrive, the birthday girl gave me her secrets to longevity. She said that one must:
  • never hold grudges
  • laugh hard daily
  • love her/his profession/job
If I could have any birthday wish today it would be that every life would contain these three elements. I believe that her advice was a gift to be shared.

Now I am off to find a cupcake of my own!

8 comments:

Me said...

Such great advice! I will keep those things in mind as well. =)

Tameka said...

Lesley!

Thanks for sharing this! I hope that we will still know each other when we get their age. (God willing!)

TAM

creative cookie said...

Sharon--please do:). Wooooooosh!

TAM--Me too! We can do it...tonight was soooo fun!

sonorossa said...

Happy belated birthday!

InnyVinny said...

That is great advice - I need to implement.

And your comment just made my evening. LOL

creative cookie said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes, Sonorossa!

Alicia, I am glad the advice was helpful. I am going to try to do all three things...(looking around for something to laugh at:).

Life is Love said...

Hey Leslie,
I so loved this entry. Happiness is so important. And sometimes it is these simple moments that remind us. I am so not sure about the facebook thing, but love to blog, when I get the time. Mine is mostly about the family thing. I am so glad to have touched base with you. Talk to you later, cuz!

creative cookie said...

Jamie!!! My spanish class long-lost cousin. I am so glad to be reconnected. Thanks for the feedback; I am going to try to write more about the moments that just happen==there's so much magic in them.

About Creative Cookie

My photo
Brooklyn, NY, United States
learn more at: thecreativecookie.net.