Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Book Review “The One Hundred: A Guide to the Pieces Every Stylish Woman Must Own” ::: Nina Garcia

The One Hundred: A Guide to the Pieces Every Stylish Woman Must Own is the perfect blend of fashion tips, history, and illustrations. Organized from A to Z, the book includes descriptions of items and gives pointers on how to wear them best. Nina Garcia sets a tenet from start that made me appreciate her perspective on fashion more: style is a deeply personal expression of who your are, and every time you dress, you are asserting a part of yourself. Instead of being narrow, she gives her two cents and leaves room for the reader to add her/his own change. Everyone from the beginner to the experienced fashionista will be able to glean something from this book.

While reading, I could not help but file the information in three categories: the pieces that I own and love, the items that I desire, and my unmentioned personal favorites. As promised, with a little restraint (not to give too much away), here are a few must haves according to Nina and yours truly.

own and love ::: featured in the book
1. watch
2. zippered hoodie
3. vintage
4. quality luggage
5. Havaianas
6. Wellingtons

desires ::: featured in the book
1. little white dress
2. old concert t-shirt
3. monogrammed stationery
4. gentlemen’s hat
5. caftan
6. Minnetonka Moccasin 

lesley’s favs ::: not featured in the book
1. vest
2. above the knee socks
3. signature earring
4. hair assessory
5. multiple pairs of glasses (if you wear them)
6. rib u
-neck tank

As you make your closet cuts be sure you are editing away items that no longer express who you are. As in life, the spaces can be filled with whatever you like. You have complete creative control.

I’d be remiss if I did not show the simple but glamorous illustrations by Ruben Toledo—I love them so much that I’d take any one to hang on my wall now. It was a nice break from typical glossy fashion photos.






2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great book review! I would have agree with Nina that style is a deeply personal expression of who you are...I guess that is why I love clothes so much! Anyway, I definitely will pick up a copy of this book!

creative cookie said...

Yeah...Nina is right on point with so many of her comments. It was totally worth the $23--I have started doing a few things differently since reading it:).

If we lived in the same city we could have a fashion book club. How fun would that be?

About Creative Cookie

My photo
Brooklyn, NY, United States
learn more at: thecreativecookie.net.