Friday, January 23, 2009

Morning Sunshine

I often ride the B or Q train on my Brooklyn into Manhattan morning commute--groggy and in need of a cup of caffeine. Shortly after passing Dekalb Avenue a piece of artwork similar to a enlarged flipbook intrigues me. The array of sequential colors and shapes has a spellbinding rhythm that magically perk me up.

Yesterday while reading one of favorite design sites, The Daily Heller, I learned this history of the work that gives me a little jolt before my cup of coffee.

Check out the Masstransiscope video; it's very cool.

Here's a little bit of background on Bill Brand's Masstransiscope. The work was installed in September of 1980 and has been seen by millions of commuters. It is composed of 228 hand-painted panels that are seen through a series of slits. The piece works on the principle of the Zoetrope, a 19th century optical toy.

What are the public art pieces that have a lingering effect on you? If you have pictures, please share them.

No comments:

About Creative Cookie

My photo
Brooklyn, NY, United States
learn more at: thecreativecookie.net.