Monday, September 22, 2008

Something New

Tonight I enrolled in Typography I at NYU. I am really excited about starting classes again because it is an opportunity for me to have fun and learn something new. I promise to share some of what I learn in a future blog.

Here’s a “Try This” exercise that is in Living The Creative Life by Rice Freeman-Zachery (see the full list of Creative Reads at the bottom of the page).
Sign up for a class or workshop in something you’ve always wanted to know more about: pottery, pen and ink drawing, quilting, collage. Go in with no expectations. The Best thing that can happen is that doing so will open the door to adventures you can’t even imagine. The worst-case scenario is that you may find this medium or technique isn’t for you, but even so, rest assured that your time won’t be wasted: Things you’ve learned in a workshop tend to find their way into seemingly unrelated work when you least expect it. For example, the color mixing you study in a painting class may be perfect when you begin to dye your own fabric.
Sharing can be fun, let me know if you try something new. I’d love to hear what happened!

2 comments:

Abigail said...

oohh. typography- this is one area that i have been really interested in. type faces can make an image or design pop in such a fresh way. can't wait to hear more about it!

creative cookie said...

I know, right? I am really excited to enroll in this fundamental course...I feel like I have only scratched the surface... the type and the spaces in between each character are so important. Stay tuned...

About Creative Cookie

My photo
Brooklyn, NY, United States
learn more at: thecreativecookie.net.