Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Fashion Inspired Design

“CREATIVE” is a sticker that I have proudly worn throughout my life; it’s been a recurring theme. But somehow my creative sensibilities never spun off into a medium that set me at a canvas, potter’s wheel, or under the limelight. This made it hard for me to picture myself as a creative type living a creative life. The artists I knew all had something tangible that they could produce and share with the world, or at the very least, with those who they loved. I was an art dabbler picking up what I felt, were ittsy bittsy wobbly fragments. These were the fibers that my “CREATIVE sticker” was made from.

When I moved to NYC something awoke in me, I had to get serious about nurturing my inner artist so that she could emerge. Design has always had an emotional impact on me. I decided that graphic design would become my art. I immediately enrolled in a few courses at NYU in digital and graphic design and discovered that I had found something that if I worked hard enough, I could be good at.

I love fashion too. You can find me frequenting high-end boutiques, thrift stores, select retail chains, and friend’s closets across America. I enjoy experimenting with mixing different patterns, styles, colors, and decades. Now that I am learning to sew, I’ve been able to bring a few of my own ideas into existence.

If I had to define my aesthetic I would call it “smarty art chic”. I plan to weave elements of fashion and textiles into my work as a graphic designer to make fashion inspired design.


Here’s what is inspiring me now:

A sampling of fabrics from a Fiber Notion charm pack. Fiber Notion is a store filled with eye-popping goodies for people who like to get their craft on. I plan to feature Fiber Notion in a future posting. Click the image to enlarge.

No comments:

About Creative Cookie

My photo
Brooklyn, NY, United States
learn more at: thecreativecookie.net.